[Pdmtl] [PD] The Party at the Center of the Universe

Pall Thayer palli at pallit.lhi.is
Wed Nov 30 09:28:14 EST 2005

On 30.11.2005, at 02:34, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Pall Thayer wrote:
>
>> The Party at the Center of the Universe is an attempt at using
>> data generated
>> by the public to generate a spatial construct on the internet.
>
> Is that a reference to "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" ?
>
> If so, why?
Not a reference to, but somehow derived from. It's also derived from
Medeski, Martin and Wood's "End of the world party." No reason, just
makes for a spiffy title.

>> Hubbles law describes how every point in space sees itself as the
>> center of
>> the Universe.
>
> I thought that it was the Special Relativity Theory (Einstein 1905)...
>
> What Hubble did is that he found the universe to be expanding by
> looking
> at the black stripe patterns appearing in the rainbows produced by
> prisms.
> The light of far-away stars make a stripes pattern which is much
> the same
> as those of nearby stars except that it is shifted in the direction
> of the
> color red in the rainbow.
>
> All along, Einstein had assumed that the universe isn't expanding, and
> while cooking up a sequel to the relativity theory, he found
> something he
> dubbed the "cosmological constant" which turned out to be an
> artifact of
> the assumption that the universe isn't expanding...!

Hubble's law is the basis for _observing_ the expansion of the
universe. Einstein introduced his cosmological constant to stop his
universe from expanding because he didn't want to believe that it
was. He ended up dropping it, referring to it as his biggest mistake
and personally thanking Hubble.

>> Due to an effect similar to the Doppler effect experienced when an
>> ambulance speeds past, the Universe appears to be expanding away from
>> every point in space, in all directions.
>
> It _is_ the Doppler effect, which applies to all waves whatsoever,
> as long
> as there's an emitter and a receiver which are moving away from each
> other.
Yes, but many people don't realize that the Doppler effect applies to
all waves, that's why I say "... similar to the Doppler effect
experienced when..." I'm not saying, "... similar to the Doppler
effect." because, as you say, it IS the Doppler effect.

--
Pall Thayer
palli at pallit.lhi.is
http://www.this.is/pallit