[Pdmtl] [Fwd: PETITION Canada Council for the Arts]

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Thu Dec 9 08:42:16 EST 2004

Mathieu Bouchard a écrit :
> En passant, ce qui me dérange avec cette pétition, c'est que c'est une
> chaîne de lettres, alors ça ne m'étonnerait pas que ça soit illégal, et
> même si ça ne l'était pas (e.g. à cause que ça n'implique pas d'argent? je
> ne connais pas vraiment la loi), dans ce cas, c'est au minimum
> complètement inefficace. Une bonne pétition passe par une (des)
> organisation(s) centrale(s), ou du moins, je ne connais pas (et ne peux
> penser à) aucune bonne manière non-hiérarchique de faire une pétition.

Un document classique sur cette question,
"Designing Effective Action Alerts for the Internet":
http://polaris.gseis.ucla.edu/pagre/alerts.html
Un des recommendations est:
"DO NOT use a chain-letter petition.
A chain-letter petition is an action alert that includes a list of names
at the end; it invites people to add their own name to the list, send in
the petition if their name is the 30th or 60th etc, and in any case
forward the resulting alert-plus-signature-list to everyone they know.
This idea sounds great in the abstract, but it really doesn't work. The
problem is that most of the signatures will never reachtheir
destination, since the chain will fizzle out before reaching the next
multiple of 30 in length. What's even worse, a small proportion of the
signatures will be received in the legislator's office many times, thus
annoying the staff and persuading them that they're dealing with an
incompetent movement that can never hold them accountable."
--
Marc