[Gridflow-dev] [PD] pd2png : screenshots of patchs

s p sebpiq at gmail.com
Tue May 21 00:31:27 EDT 2013

T'es pas facile toi ...

> I had to use KML, SHP and OSM formats last year. How special are they ?

Very bad example! They are all for geospatial data. So they are absolutely
not general purpose image formats.

> What's the use of embedding patch info inside of SVG ? Who will make use
of that info as embedded in SVG files ? Why ?

As I said, you can do stuff such as automatic layout (which is great), you
can do styling, you can do proper scaling, all of which would not be
possible with something that doesn't embed the structure of the patch.
For me, most importantly, you can build a whole new GUI for Pd on top of
SVG. For example, I made a quick prototype of that here :
http://sebpiq.github.io/WebPd/simple-gui/simple-gui.html

> Yes. It's called « making a screenshot ».

Yes, but what's the point? When you want to make a screenshot, in the end
you want a picture of the patch. So if you can get it otherwise, why would
you care that it's pixel perfect?