[Gridflow-dev] GridFlow slowness

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Nov 24 12:33:43 EST 2011

Le 2011-11-23 à 01:11:00, Matteo Sisti Sette a écrit :

> But do any of these factors change when using an interpreted language or
> environment as opposed to doing this "natively" (e.g. in C++)?

It depends on how much the interpreted language is actually compiled, and
how it interacts with « less compiled » parts.

In Pd, nearly every piece of external or internal class is written in C or
C++, and all abstractions are written in an interpreted language named Pd.
Some other externals are written in other languages (Tcl, Lua, Python,
etc., and formerly I was using Ruby).

This means that some parts are fast and some parts are slow. Now, if you
give to a C/C++ part a large piece of work at a time, you're using much
less CPU than if you cut it into tiny pieces. That's one big difference
between using, say, [list-drip] vs [foreach], but it's even more the case
if you do many [+] (without [list-map]) vs one big [# +].

([list-map] is actually much slower than what it is possible to do as a
plain abstraction without deps, so that's why I say without [list-map])

Pd itself is probably among the slowest interpreted languages when you
look at the message system. The interpreter still preparses everything and
objects are mostly connected to each other as a graph. Symbol-table-lookup
is used fairly seldom, and that helps making it not so slow. Using a rule
of thumb, Pd should be faster than languages that reparse everything all
of the time, such as Bash, and very old versions of Tcl until version 8
(which came out in 1997).

Pd's DSP is faster. It involves processing data in larger chunks of 64
floats by default (see above about too many tiny pieces) and it compiles
patches as «wordcode», which is similar in speed to bytecode (such as
Perl/Python), and usually somewhat faster than object graphs (such as Pd's
message system and Ruby).

Then Java... Java is somewhat special. The oldest versions used plain
bytecode (as in the original versions of Smalltalk), but when doing so, it
was often slower than Tcl8/Perl/Python, because it interpreted each
character operation separately, whereas Tcl8/Perl/Python bytecodes work on
whole strings at once. It's again the problem of too many tiny pieces.

However, Java is nowadays almost always used with the JNI, which is a
model it got from the SELF language. It's actually nearly as old as Java
bytecode. Improvements in JNI made Java come supposedly close to the speed
of C++, though there are still other ways in which Java needs more
resources than C++.

> I mean, when the bottlenecks of copying ram are discussed, I sometimes get
> the impression that I'm being told: this is the part of code where the
> overhead of doing things in java (or whatever) rather than c++ is biggest,
> which is what I find counterintuitive. Or is it just a misunderstanding of
> mine?

I don't know how fast Java compilers are supposed to be right now. I have
never tried serious number-crunching in Java. All I can tell you is to
find a benchmark. Results will vary depending on the task being performed,
which compiler/runtime-env is being used, and lots of small details in how
each programme is written in each language.