[Gridflow-dev] [PD] OpenMP and Pd

Pedro Lopes pedro.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Mon Dec 6 12:37:33 EST 2010

Yep, the idea behind openMP is related to what you normally call directives
or pragmas[1]. OpenMP offers a set of such directives so you can choose ways
to parallelize *chunks* of your code accordingly to the best option you
want. List of pragmas here [2].

The very basic example is a parallel for:

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
    const int N = 100000;
    int i, a[N];

    #pragma omp parallel for
    for (i = 0; i < N; i++)
        a[i] = 2 * i;

    return 0;}

And yes, you only type "#pragma omp parallel for" before the "for"
statement. Nothing more. You can test within your systems for the results.

Now just a final, very important notice: I am no openMP expert, just looking
for interesting ways of speeding things up, there are other as mentioned in
this list, several other times.

[1]
http://books.google.pt/books?id=MeFLQSKmaJYC&printsec=frontcover&dq=openMP&source=bl&ots=5yWLnT441E&sig=ckzBbxx3u_EbWPNxaf9MkFn-CFM&hl=pt-PT&ei=6h39TPHeIY6j4QaWprypBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CGAQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

[2]
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/lnxpcomp/v8v101/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.xlcpp8l.doc/compiler/ref/ruprpdir.htm

--
Pedro Lopes (MSc)