[Gridflow-dev] #centroid: added two extra outlets

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jun 16 15:43:54 EDT 2005

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, alx wrote:
> alx         Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:00:48 -0400
>      #centroid.pd
>    added two extra outlets to get x and y positions directly
>  Revision    Changes    Path
>  1.3         +4   -0    pd_abstractions/#centroid.pd

I am curious about what is the rationale for this. I have made it a pride
that GridFlow produces combined values whenever possible, keeping in mind
that as GridFlow evolves, it becomes easier and easier to use those
grouped values instead of separate ones.

It used to be that [#export_list] -> [unpack 0 0] was necessary to pick up
those values as floats, or [#export_list] -> [$1( and such, but on
Michal's request I added an [#unpack 2] which makes this shorter, and I
very much agree with him.

Part of the idea behind using values combined into a grid coming from only
one outlet, is that #centroid could also work with differently-sized
arrays without having to be explicit about it. (variable number of outlets
currently require that the number of outlets can be guessed from the
contents of the objectbox)

What do you think?

And if you think your idea is still good, which other objects should also
have those extra outlets? (i'm thinking about consistency, which improves
guessability, which improves acquired-intuitiveness)

,-o--------o--------o--------o-. ,---. irc.freenode.net #dataflow |
`-o------------o-------------o-' | | Mathieu Bouchard (Montréal QC) |