[Gridflow-dev] linking c libs and where to place them?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 24 19:23:08 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Alexandre Castonguay wrote:

> I was wondering how to link the artag lib from GridFlow.  I am reading
> on how 'dl' extends ruby with c libs and that looks sort of ok.

I haven't used 'dl' yet, especially because dl can't handle C++
methods. Instead I use gridflow/base/source_filter.rb which might also be
more customizable but I don't know.

> Also, where should libraries be placed?

*.rb goes in /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/ or /usr/local/ruby/1.8/ usually, but also
I use /home/matju/lib/ruby/1.8/

*.so goes one level deeper in i586-linux/ or any equivalent dir.

Replace 1.8 by whichever version you use, be it 1.6, 1.9, ...

>  I saw that the devices4ruby lib is placed in the upper directory but
> would it make sense to have it in another directory?  'bundled' comes
> to mind.

"bundled/" is for libraries that are published already independently or
as part as something else of gridflow. Devices4ruby is being _merged_ into
gridflow so I won't make separate releases anymore. It's not ready yet
because the makefiles aren't connected to each other yet.

> Est-ce que 'dl' est la bonne direction?

That's one possible direction, and it might be an easy one. I don't know
how far you can get with it. 'dl' is to be superceded by 'dl2' one day,
but i think the latter is only early experimental stuff.

I think I wrote GridFlow without using 'dl' for the reason that back then
the first-generation 'dl' wasn't even standard yet.

Another solution is to use SWIG.