[Gridflow-dev] ping (fwd)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 8 22:17:03 EDT 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Tom Schouten wrote:

> i ran into a problem modularizing some transpose (interleave) code and
> this made me realize i need a generic grid interpretation of a raw
> buffer. this would have the type description:
>
> bitgrid/8/320/240/3
> this describes a 8 bit, planar row encoded image: w=320 h=240 planes=3

I'm not sure what you mean. Is it like char[3][240][320], or like another
C array shape?

> the alternative is something like:
> bitgrid/int/100/100
> i'd like to keep it a pure bitgrid, and leave the interpretation upstream.
> this would simplify the code a lot. but it does mean that it might not be
> enough to catch the full meaning of a gridflow grid.

GridFlow 0.7 has two 32-bit types (i,f) and two 64-bit types (l,d). How
would you differentiate between int and float in general? and signed vs
unsigned?

Besides, GridFlow does not use planes at all, ever, unlike, say, Jitter.

> a short note: i noticed you use loop unrolling macros in grid.h i
> found out gcc does this very well automaticly,

Which versions? I thought about moving definitely away from older versions
of GCC that aren't as smart wrt loop-unrolling, but then, the tools I have
for compiling on Zaurus/iPaq/NetWinder are still just 2.95. Certainly that
when I wrote the original version of that code I was still using 2.95
myself (probably when I was using debian-stable).